This past weekend I was a guest speaker at the BE FREE Business Expo in Bellevue, WA for direct sales and home based business owners. First of all I was very grateful that I was able to participate and the experience inspired today’s post.
I learned some of these sales strategies from the top trainers in network marketing industry.
See The People
In sales its a numbers game. If you are hiding out in your house, how will people know about you and your business? Social media has made that part a little easier. You have access to an entire country. Facebook is like the next largest country. Before you try enrolling the entire country how about we start with your sphere of influence and people right in your back yard.
- Facebook Events: This is an opportunity to meet more people. I know I get invited to tons of events out there on facebook you can even search what type of events are going on in your city. I myself was a networking queen at one point I was going to an event for breakfast, lunch and dinner. You know that got exhausting very quickly, I did get to meet a ton of great people but my advice would be pick and choose your events.
Tip #1: When you RSVP for an event even if you can’t make it comment in the events page how excited you are about the event, or how disappointed you can’t make it.
- You are being seen by all of the other people who were invited.
- It helps the promoter build the hype if your excited about the event.
Tip #2: You can do this after an event or before. I go back and see if there was anyone interesting that I met at the event and friend them the next day. You can also go back into the events page and go through the list of RSVP’s Yes and friend them with a kind message saying “hey didn’t get a chance to meet you at ABC event. Did you have fun?”
- Tweetups: I have only been to a few and they are pretty fun. Its kinda cool when you get to meet people that you may have interacted with on twitter before. If your new to twitter you can meet new people here find out there twitter handle and keep in touch with them via twitter.
- Meetups: I could probably write an entire post on meetups so I’ll keep this one short. Find a group of like-minded people. If you don’t find a group that is already in the works start your own event. I started my own meetup in 2007 and made my first big sale from someone coming from my invitation on meetup.
Tell the Story
So, you found the people now what? Tell the story, DO NOT throw up on people! I have been there, it can be so exciting that you found some lotion or potion that is going to cure cancer and you’d be stupid not to listen to me. I have received numerous solicitations/spam emails where you can tell they copied and pasted an entire biography of their company details. A story of how this super supplement cured them of some crazy disease. Hey I am all for someone having a great story like that but this is like dating. You don’t tell someone you can fix them on the first date. Please do not send people a 3 page essay. If you do I’m sure you will be going to be in the NFL (No Friends Left) club really fast.
Stacia, Well how do I tell the story?
WIIFM (What’s In It For ME)
Honestly you could have the fountain of youth. People want to know “What’s in it for me” You have to WIIFM.
How do we do that?
Find out their motivation. You want to interview people, see if they are someone who deserves a leader like you.
I like using the FORM method. Let them pain the picture of what their dreams are.
Ask questions regarding Family, Occupation, Recreation and Motivation/Money.
- Do you have a Family?
- What do you do for a living?
- Do you like your job?
- What do you like to do for fun?
- If money wasn’t an issue what would you like to do or who would you be?
- Why aren’t you living your dreams now?
If I can show you a business that could give you all of that would you be interested?
Tip #3: Using these questions to post on your facebook or other social media platforms are great ways to get people engaging. You can find a lot about your sphere of influence. From there you can find out who you can call on or invite them to the next step…
Build for events
You found a great person that has some drive, everything you want in a prospect. Now invite them to the event. Share with them how this is an exclusive event is and even offer to pick them up and take them to the event.
Getting people to events can be difficult. Life can get in the way and maybe they aren’t ready for the message you are ready to share. Don’t go pacing around the parking lot waiting for the ones that don’t show up. Focus on the ones that do come out to support you and are looking for a change in their own life. Introduce them to people who are just like them and have them share a story about their experience with the company you are with.
Fortune is in the follow up. Make sure you make a follow up appointment before the end of the evening event. Ask them what they thought was best part of the presentation. From here I am sure you know what to do 😉
At the end of the day use my tips I have in this post but also use them and pick up that heavy phone.
Don’t spend all day posting and pestering people.
Engage, Educate and Listen to what others are saying and go from there.
Last tip is just go out and inspire people! You can’t say the wrong thing to the right person. Hope this post helps.
Comment below if you have any questions or disagree with anything in this post.